Thursday, March 15, 2018

What Are You Afraid Of?

I'm currently researching a new book about a man who launched his career (at the age of 12) by scaring people.  He's gone on to also delight and amaze audiences on a grand scale, but my research has gotten me thinking about scary stuff.

I had a conversation recently with my friend, who also happens to be an artist and my acupuncturist, about fears. As a writer, I often consider what things in my stories children might consider frightening, so I'm interested in what other people are afraid of. Sometimes feeling just a bit scared is fun. Kids love Mercer Mayer's monster in the closet and whatever lurks in the dark, dark wood. The fascination with vampires, zombies, and other denizens of the night is appealing to ever younger audiences. I was chided once by a seven-year-old that zombie movies aren't scary, that "it's all just special effects, you know." And that thrilling, slightly scared feeling is one of the things that has made the subject of my new project so successful. But what about the times when the fear is more than a "bit," or when we feel really threatened by that scary thing? That's when our skin crawls, our hearts race, and we scream. Suddenly, it's not fun any more. Where's that tipping point?

There seems to be a general (and usually reasonable) list of common fears. Spiders are up there near the top, certainly for me, since I was bitten on the ankle by a black widow the night before my daughter was born. Forty years later, I still feel the only effective tool for defending myself from a black widow is a really
l-o-o-o-n-g broom handle! My friend said big, scary dogs top her list. Umm. . . not so for me, but then, I've never been attacked by one. She has.

One of my writer friends has a rather unique fear--of sock monkeys. She can't even really explain where it came from. Sock monkeys look pretty innocuous to me. Granted, that grin is a bit much, but they don't strike me as fear-worthy. But that's the thing about fears. They are very personal and often without logic. And while I don't consider myself a mean person, some peculiar perversity in my character tempts me to buy every one I see, just to give to that writer friend. Those Christmas ornaments, pillows, tee shirts, book marks all strike me as so cute.


 Another friend refused to visit the Redwoods when she was in northern California, convinced that one of those giant trees was just waiting for her to arrive so it could fall on her. Most of them have been standing for centuries, so what are the odds? But logic doesn't apply here, either. She's equally fearful of cities like New York because she's sure a skyscraper will crush her. When's the last time you read about something like that happening? To her, it doesn't matter. And that's what matters.

Driving through town the other day, I was startled by one of those wacky, inflatable, arm-flailing tube men at a used car dealership. It occurred to me at that moment that I was afraid of them, and I didn't even know what they were called. So I googled it today and learned that there is a registered, trademarked name for them—Airdancers. That is way too pleasant a name for something that startles the holy heck out of me every time I see one. I'm surprised they aren't responsible for numerous car accidents. Do you think they have ever enticed someone to buy a car? Maybe as replacements for the ones totaled in nearby crashes?

But my artist/acupuncturist friend and I both agreed that a great writer can conjure up a scary creature made entirely of words that can haunt your dreams forever. No one is more adept at creating such characters than Stephen King. Right up there on our list of mutual fears are sewer clowns. I've never much liked clowns, but ever since King created Pennywise, I shy away from sidewalk grates and sewer drains. I just know a white-gloved hand is going to reach out, grab me by the ankle, and pull me down into the darkness. Unreasonable? Yes. A real fear? Yes. But it seems to be human nature to get off on scary stuff. I still read Stephen King.

In case you're interested in learning more about fears, check out the website at phobialist.com. If you're afraid of chickens, you may suffer from alektorophobia. If going to school frightens you, you might have didaskaleinophobia. If it's vegetables you fear, you've got lachanophobia. If teenagers frighten you, your illness is ephebiphobia. Unfortunately, the list is alphabetical by phobia name, so with just a cursory glance, I didn't find sock monkeys, airdancers, or sewer clowns.

What are you afraid of? (And, yeah, I know that sentence ends in a preposition. But it sure sounds better than "Of what are you afraid?") If you're a writer, what's the scariest situation or character you've written into one of your stories?

Now back to work on my new project.

8 comments:

  1. Did you have to put a photo of the sock monkey in this post?? (Shivers) At least you didn't mention my irrational fear of giant American flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know about the flag fear. I suppose one could get wrapped around you and you could smother. Hmm. . .

      Delete
  2. My sister and I used to be afraid of the sock monkeys Auntie Minnie made for us at Christmas. Now I wish I had one of those old handmade ones from Uncle Walter’s socks! I am now afraid of dog poop and my sister is afraid of bears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer was afraid of a Chinese doll in a peasant smock and coolie hat that her dad brought her back from China when she was about 6. She made me gently wrap it up in a blanket and put it in the garage because she didn't want it to get mad at her. Don't you have to deal with dog poop on a daily basis? Facing your fear like that regularly is hard core! Good for you.

      Delete
  3. I am not sure about any "things", but I am frightened easily by being startled. My oldest used to jump out of closets, hide behind corners, and behind furniture, just to scare the bejesus out of me. He was 10...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, Nancy. I wish I could sign up by email. I was already a follower, but it doesn't notify me of your new posts.

    I'm a prankster, and every time I see a sock monkey, I'm tempted to buy it for Annie! So you're not the only one who thinks of her every time you see one.

    My fear is spiders and especially black widow eggs. When we were writing Curse at Zala Manor and AJ and Emily discovered the hidden stairway, I knew there had to be black widow webs with eggs in their path, so we wrote it into the story. I think it's awful that you were bit by a black widow just before you gave birth. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete