Monday, April 4, 2011

Oatmeal or Cheerios?


One hot Tuesday night last July (as I sat with my critique group shivering in the sub-arctic chill of Panera Café) someone mentioned that the Cheerios picture book contest deadline was looming. General Mills sponsors a family literacy program called “Spoonfuls of Stories,” and each spring they put a miniature paperback picture book (written in both English and Spanish) inside 3 million specially-marked boxes of Cheerios. I thought, “What the heck?”

Submissions are open only to unpublished authors (I’m highly qualified in that arena!), must be 500 words or less, and have strong read-aloud appeal for young children. My favorite story I’ve written to date, Bear Cub’s Pizza, seemed to fit the criteria—short at 250 words and written in verse. So I kissed it good-bye and put it in the mail. Then the waiting began. But eventually life took over, and I forgot all about it.

My phone rang one morning in mid-October as I was eating breakfast (oatmeal, by the way, not Cheerios, but don’t tell anyone). The caller ID said General Mills, and my first thought was, “Now these *!#*&! solicitors are even calling at breakfast.” But I answered—reluctantly and with obvious annoyance in my voice. It was a perky young woman.

“Is this Nancy O’Connor?”

I said, “Y-e-s-s-s,” very suspiciously. How did General Mills know my name? My phone number is unlisted.

“Did you submit a story to the Cheerios contest?”

Well, you’ve never seen anyone do a faster about-face than I did at that moment. She went on to say that it was her pleasure to inform me that I was one of two runners-up (out of 8,000 entries) in the contest. Pending my completion of some legal paperwork, I would be receiving a check for $1,000, and Bear Cub’s Pizza would be posted on the Cheerios website in the spring. The grand prize winner (alas, not I) would be receiving $5,000 and a publishing contract from Simon and Schuster. Still, I was thrilled.

Then the young woman swore me to secrecy until General Mills made the public announcement in March, 2011. That’s a long time to keep such good news secret, but I promised. I only told my critique group colleagues, a few friends, and my immediate family. The check arrived just before Christmas and added to the joy of the season. In February I provided a photo for the website and was told that the press release would go out on the wire services March 22nd. Check out the contest website at http://pages.simonandschuster.com/spoonfulsofstories/author-contest. The following day, March 23rd, I posted my news on Facebook—along with the photo of the box of Cheerios (no more oatmeal for me!) containing the winning picture book from last year, How Do You Hug a Porcupine?, by Laurie Isop.

But the excitement hasn’t stopped there. The other day I received an email from a stranger who asked, “Are you the Nancy O’Connor who wrote Bear Cub’s Pizza?” I almost said, “And who wants to know?” (I’ve got to stop being so suspicious.) It was a NYC literary agent! When we talked last week, she said she loved the story, and she asked me to send her everything else I had. I did, of course, and now the waiting begins again. Will she like my stuff? Will she offer me representation? Will I one day join the ranks of published authors? I’ll keep you posted.


In the meantime, here's the little guy I hope to make famous someday, joyriding after lunch in his red Buick Skylark convertible.

1 comment:

  1. !!!! Boy, do you know how to keep secrets!
    I am beyond excited for you and have every finger and toe crossed for this next round of waiting. You deserve this, Nancy. It's going to happen. Alaric best get back on the road. Pronto.

    ReplyDelete