Monday, June 1, 2009

Just get out of the way. . .

I recently discovered a documentary on DVD called “Bird by Bird with Annie: A Film Portrait of Writer Anne Lamott." Yeah, I know that it came out in 1998, but ten years ago I hadn’t yet realized I was meant to be a writer, so this recent discovery was both timely and exciting. I sat down to view it last night, and as I watched the life story of this incredibly talented and funny writer unfold, I was reminded of a tee shirt I once saw at a writer’s conference. Across the chest, it read: “Thanks a lot, Mom & Dad, for my happy childhood. Now I’ll NEVER be a writer!”

This woman who has inspired many beginning writers with her book, Bird by Bird, has been down the road a piece. An odd looking child who always felt she didn’t belong, she began drinking at the age of thirteen. By nineteen she was a raging alcoholic, as well as a drug user. She had a “come-to-Jesus” turn-around in her thirties, had a beautiful little boy out-of-wedlock, and has gone on to become a productive writer and sought-after public speaker. Hell, what excuse do I have? I guess I can always blame my happy childhood.

But thanks to Annie, I came away from the documentary with a little prayer I should offer up to God and my muse on a daily basis. She says “Just let me get out of the way and write what wants to be written.” Great advice for any writer. And I swear, no more extension cord excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment